Linux Programs on
HamRadioAndVision is a Web site with practical information for blind and vision-impaired amateur radio operators. The following is an annotated list of Linux-related articles on HamRadioAndVision:
• Fldigi is an amateur radio digital modem program with versions for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux.
• Flrig is an amateur radio transceiver-control program that runs on Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. It can also cooperate with the fldigi digital modem program. Flrig is also pre-installed on the fldigiVI LiveUSB.
• Quisk is a software-defined radio application program with versions for Windows and Linux.
• CHIRP is a VHF/UHF radio programming tool for Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. The free Orca screen reader bundled with Ubuntu works well with the Linux version of CHIRP.
The Download page and Running Under Linux page on the CHIRP Web site describe how to use various sources for the program. They are preferable to the package in the Ubuntu Software Center, which contains an out-of-date version of CHIRP.
• ChirpVI LiveUSB is free software designed for blind and vision-impaired hams. Installed on a USB flash drive, it can boot most PCs. The software is a customized version of the Ubuntu-based Zorin distribution. CHIRP, the Orca screen reader, and magnification are pre-installed.
• WebSDR is a software-defined amateur radio receiver that can be operated remotely over the Internet via a browser running under any operating system.
The article about digital modes with a WebSDR describes three ways to stream WebSDR audio to fldigi for Linux.
• EchoLink is a popular Windows program for hams that uses a Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP). The Linux section in the EchoLink installation instructions mentions reports of EchoLink running successfully with WINE on Linux.
This article describes the accessibility of EchoLink on a Windows system:
• Xlog is an easy-to-use logging program. It is pre-installed on the fldigiVI Live USB.
Peter DeNeef, AE7PD, is an Extra Class amateur radio operator in the U.S. This Web site has no ads or conficts of interest.
Email: HamRadioAndVision "at" gmail "dot" com.