For Blind and Vision-Impaired
Ham Radio Operators
This HamRadioAndVision Web site has practical information for blind and vision-impaired amateur radio operators. Subjects include accessible transceivers, speech synthesizers, CW, digital modes, rig monitoring, VOIP, product reviews, VHF/UHF radio programming, RF power and SWR meters, and how to make a ham station computer more accessible.
You can click here for a list of new articles and changes on the site.
Speech Synthesizers for Transceivers—Announce the
operating frequency and other information.
Elecraft: HamPod K3 Reader
Elecraft: K3 Voice and K3 Texter
TYT Electronics HT
Rig Monitoring—Using a computer to display transceiver
settings in a more easily readable form.
• Rig Monitoring Basics
• Flrig for OS X and Windows
• Flrig for Linux
• Kenwood ARCP Remote Programs
• Icom RS-BA1 Remote Program
• Yaesu Data Mangement Unit
• DXLab Commander
HF Digital Radio—PSK31, RTTY, etc.
• Digital Mode Text-to-Speech
• PSK31 Operating Notes from a Blind Ham
• cocoaModem: Text-to-Speech || Accessibility (Mac OS X)
• TrueTTY: Text-to-Speech || Accessibility || Configuration
• fldigi for Mac OS X & Windows: Accessibility
• fldigi for Linux: Accessibility || Installing
• MMTTY: Text-to-Speech || Accessibility
• MultiPSK Accessibility
• High Visibility Digital Mode Text
• KK7UQ PSK IMD Meter
Meters and Indicators—RF Power, SWR, etc.
• Large MFJ SWR/Wattmeters—High visibility analog meter.
• Wavenode2 Monitor—Large display and spoken reports.
• Coaxial Dynamics USB Wattmeter—High visibility display.
• Elecraft W2 Meter—High-brightness LED bargraphs.
• MFJ AutoTuners with Audio-SWR Meter—Audible reports.
• Audible Transmitter Output Monitor
• KK7UQ PSK IMD Meter—Audible & high visibility indicators.
• How to use an ALC meter—Avoid distortion and interference.
• Elecraft: HamPod K3 Reader—Speaks RF Power, SWR,...
• Kenwood TS-590 Transceiver—Speaks RF Power, SWR,...
• Kenwood TS-990S Transceiver—Speaks RF Power, SWR,...
• Icom Transceiver Multi-Meter Monitor—Large-display meter.
• LDG Meters—Large external meters for Icom & Yaesu radios.
• Icom IC-7000 External Monitor—No computer required.
Ham Station Computer
• Magnifying ham radio program displays.
• High Contrast color schemes in Windows.
• DPI Scaling for larger text.
• Team Viewer remote computer administration program.
• EyesOnSuccess/ViewPoints Podcasts on accessible technology
Peter DeNeef, AE7PD, is an Extra Class amateur radio operator in the U.S. This Web site has no ads or conflicts of interest.